Click to search for similar items
In these STEM lessons Build Safe Construction Company are planning a new apartment building, but earthquakes are common in Fault city and they need to make the building safe.
Students work as a team, using earthquake knowledge, adhering to criteria and constraints and analysing data to develop an evidence-based plan.
Through investigation, they test earthquake-resistant technologies and construct model buildings that withstand earthquakes!
Designed for Key Stage 2, Year 4
Provides 5 hours of STEM instruction over seven 30–60 minute lessons.
Includes a teacher guide, activity books, homework tasks and assessment tools, plus the materials needed to undertake each activity.
- Meets National Curriculum for England (2014) attainment targets in Year 4 Science, Design & Technology, Maths and Geography
- Develops core maths skills in multiplication and division, addition and subtraction, number and place value, geometry, and statistics.
- Facilitates use of the engineering design process to solve real-world problems.
- Introduces the practice of gathering, recording and classifying data to answer real-word questions.
- The Wobbletop Shake Table simulates earthquakes and tests student designs.
- Brings confidence to your STEM teaching and reduces preparation time with pre-planned lessons.
Recommended for ages: 8 - 10 years