Material Properties, Design Specifications and Budgets
In these interactive project-based lessons, Frothy Fruit Company sells drinks from travelling stalls. They want to sell Silly Straws but there is limited space! Students work together to solve this problem and create a point-of-sale display stand that meets Frothy Fruit’s criteria and constraints.
Students are introduced to problem solving through design, prototyping and evaluation. They develop understanding of material properties and extend skills in model building and conducting practical tests, as well as making claims supported by evidence and using and communicating technical information.
Designed for Key Stage 2, Year 5
- Provides 2 hours of STEM instruction over four 30 minute lessons
- Includes a teacher guide, activity books, homework tasks and assessment tools, plus the materials needed to undertake each activity
- Meets a host of National Curriculum for England (2014) attainment targets in Science, Design & Technology and Maths
- Facilitates use of the engineering design process to solve real-world problems
- Encourages problem-solving and team work through small group activities. As well as independent thinking and learning through individual tasks
- Prepares students for secondary education
- Brings confidence to your STEM teaching and reduces preparation time with pre-planned lessons
Recommended for ages: 9 - 12 years
What's in the Box?
Includes everything needed to start teaching, right out the box:
- 1 teacher guide including photocopiable activity sheets
- 6 student activity books
- 1 homework activity
- 200 sticky notes
- 150 craft sticks
- 100 index cards
- 100 pipe cleaners
- 50 straight straws
- 24 silly straws
- 10 felt pieces
- 6 large plastic bags
- 1 ball of string
- 1 roll of foil
- 1 roll of masking tape
- 1 handy Gratnells storage tray
Accompanying online resources, including a helpful how-to video, STEM prompts, and teamwork principles worksheet. Gratnells Jumbo Tray measures 30cm H
Delivery Restrictions - Home Customers
Sorry, but we are unable to accept orders for this item from home customers, or for delivery to a home address.