Forces on Objects & Slopes and Surfaces
In these project-based lessons students meet Ron, a skateboarding armadillo who wants to make the new ramp safe for everyone. Through fun practical exploration, slopes and surfaces are brought to life. Students are introduced to the effects of friction and gradient on motion and distance and explore the concepts of guessing (predicting) and recording data. They also learn about measurement and using graphs to problem solve as they are challenged to engineer the ramp so that Ron goes far... but not too far!
Designed for Key Stage 1, Year 2
- Provides 80 – 120 minutes of STEM instruction over four 20- 30 minute lessons
- Includes a lesson-by-lesson teacher guide, step-by-step student activities, homework tasks, and assessment tools, as well as the materials needed to undertake each activity
- Meets a host of National Curriculum for England (2014) attainment targets in Year 2 Science, Design & Technology, and Maths.
- Involves students in the exciting world of practical STEM investigation through hands-on experimentation
- Develops key mathematical skills in counting and measuring
- Builds vocabulary with the introduction of key STEM concepts
- Introduces the use of engineering steps to solve real-world problems
Recommended for ages: 6 - 8 years
What's in the Box?
Includes everything needed to start teaching, right out of the box:
- A lesson-by-lesson teacher guide card
- 4 step-by-step activity cards
- 4 photocopiable activity sheets
- 4 homework activities
- 400 foam colour tiles
- 1 double-sided poster
- 1 graphing mat
- 1 Ron the Armadillo soft toy with skateboard
- 1 padded rug
- 1 felt rug
- 1 tape measure
- 1 reversible wooden ramp with wooden ladder.
- 1 handy Gratnells storage tray
Includes accompanying online resources, such as a helpful how-to video, two video reading, STEM prompts and a teamwork principles worksheet.
Delivery Restrictions - Home Customers
Sorry, but we are unable to accept orders for this item from home customers, or for delivery to a home address.
- 1 Year Limited Warranty
Full details (including terms) of manufacturer warranty are provided with the product or on manufacturer website.